Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Goodbye January

Happy February! This month is Black History month and last month as legislated by Obama was Human Trafficking Prevention month. Today then culminates to be Freedom Day.

Not many people know of Freedom Day as it is the first year we are celebrating it (or at least I think so), nonetheless it is on my calendar and I took time to reflect on my freedom both as a free woman and a half black person.

How much freedom I have to be thankful for! To leave January respectably and the cause we support in this month, I must thank God for His provision and protection in my life, that I myself was not sold into slavery. My family has never considered the possibility of selling me to someone for our next meal or to escape a debt. HE has provided. And yet there are woman and children all around the world daily being trafficked, treated as merchandise and not the beautiful HUMANS they are. I thank God that this injustice is being brought to the foreground and there are abolitionists willing to fight for the helpless.

To welcome February gratefully; thank God, that though we are not reconciled together as we ought to be, blacks have a place in America. We are not forced out of our country because of the color of our skin or the dialect of our speech. Thank God that there were and are people who are brave enough to fight for racial equality, even at the cost of their lives. Thank God for people who are committed to bridging that division even at the risk of personal discomfort.

Today what I celebrate most though, on this Day of Freedom, is my freedom in Christ. I am no longer a slave to sin but to Christ. It is no longer I who live but Christ who dwells in me. Praise God that I am FREE from the grip of death and alive to walk in the joy of the Lord. And praise Him even more so that someday He will set right what man has done wrong. Someday there will be freedom brought to the families living under the oppression of the sex trafficking movement. Someday there will be unity among every tribe and nation, not over-looking our differences but embracing them and celebrating them. Someday the Lord will restore and that will be A DAY OF FREEDOM!

But for now I rejoice that small movements are springing up globally by those who love the Lord and His people and are on board with His commission. And the Lord is working, do not fret about that. He is not waiting to work but is in the midst of working right now. He sees and hears the cries of the brokenhearted, abused, and neglected. He never slumbers. Amen, that He will work all of it out for the good! Hope never fails!

No comments: