Pages

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

{abundant life. really?}

I got the best news of my life and then I got depressed. 

True story. I could explain the whole grueling mess but let's suffice it say that following God's calling is often followed by trials. This was my experience and it has not been pretty. 

There have been many a "gray" day in the past few months. Days where I was so overcome by despair and hurt that though the sun was shining I could not drag myself out of bed. I could not interact and engage with the world around me. It has been fascinating to me to talk to other people who have walked through times of depression. A characteristic that I have exhibited as well as others is lack of motivation to shower. Y'all, I LOVE being clean. I LOVE the scent of my body wash. I LOVE when my curls do their thing. LOVE IT. I'm so for real when I tell you I could not do it

I've been rocking this bun on the top of my head for months now because even after finding the motivation to shower I don't care enough to do anything with the mop atop my head. Makeup has not touched my face but once in the past several months and that was to take a picture that would be going to the masses. And then, that makeup stayed there until it sank into the abyss of my pores or smeared my pillow cases. 

It's funny how depression manifests itself differently in different people. Some pull at their hair creating bald patches, some overeat, some hide away for days on end. Funny was maybe not the appropriate word, interesting, it's interesting. 

What I'm learning in the midst of all of it though is that even here in this gray place there is a wide spectrum of emotions to be experienced. Even in gray times there's still a place to experience joy and deep happiness. There is a place to actually be at peace and for my mind to find rest. Even here in these gray days.

Today, it's dreary out. Clouds hover low to the earth, puddles form on uneven ground. I'm moving to a place where this will be the norm and I'll have to learn to live in it. Depression will not always be the norm for my life, trials however are and likewise I'm learning that there's life to be lived in the gray days. There's life to be lived in the midst of trials. And there's life to be lived in depression. 

John 10:10 says The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I (Jesus) came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Y'all this is GOOD NEWS! News that I need to remind myself of daily. Jesus Christ came so that we, you and me, would have life and not just life but abundant life. I had to Google abundant life and this is one beautiful description I found : superabundance, excessive, overflowing, surplus, over and above, more than enough, profuse, extraordinary, above the ordinary, more than sufficient.

This is not a meager living God is promising. He is promising extraordinary life both after we depart this world and now. I'm letting that sink in and wash over me. He's not waiting to give me a surplus of life but He is giving it now. 

One description said, " A quantity so abundant as to be considerably more than what one would expect or anticipate." It's reminiscent of  1 Corinthians 2:9 which says, "What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love Him."

Trials. Hardships. Maybe even depression. But He is giving life in the midst of it. That is His promise. And He is faithful to His promises. 

No comments: