Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Obedience

I was thinking of a verse that the Lord showed me this weekend and I struggle with because of pride. Luke 17:10"In the same way, when you obey me you should say, ' We are not worthy of praise. We are servants who have simply done our duty."

Christ has told us that those who are not willing to leave ALL that they have are not worthy. This includes family, friends, husband, children, money, and security. Yet leaving this is simple obedience. This is our "simple duty". Not even the over and beyond. I shouldn't desire a pat on the back for that (which is what I would be wanting. A good job from God.) In my mind I've wrestled with that all weekend.

God delights in our obedience to him yet at the same time it is nothing extraordinary, it's simply obedience. So, still thinking about it this morning I came across this verse that I think now reconciles the 2 in my mind and would be an encouragement : Luke 18:30 "Truly I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brother or parents, or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life."God understands in mercy that obedience is not our nature, so he does bless us abundantly when we are obedient, even if that obedience is "simply our duty."

No comments: