Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

one blank canvas

I was just rereading Acts 17:29-31. With this new crafting self of mine coming out over the past 2 years I was struck by the idea of shrinking God to some art form; gold, silver, stone- an image formed by the art and imagination of man.

I imagined a blank canvas and what color I would paint it were I trying to contain the essence of God in art. I originally decided splatter paint of all the colors of the rainbow because no color seems to quiet grasp His beauty. But then I thought of how paint couldn't be the only medium used because that doesn't seem to really convey the many facets of His character. In my minds eye I placed some buttons, feathers, lace, and sequence on the canvas (mainly because those are things right next to me at my craft table). My imagined image was already a far cry from how I would actually want to portray Him. So I started over, cause that's the joy of imaginations. Just a blank canvas. The more I thought about that blank canvas the more I thought it was great just the way it was. Until I realized that even it, was not enough. One blank canvas couldn't come close to even the very fringes of the greatness of God.

I kind of love that about Him. While other gods are in the carved images of their worshippers , toppled over by any minor disturbance and broken in the fumbling hands of a toddler, God, Yahweh, stands firm, unable to be attained in the feeble attempts of man's artwork.

He is unattainable and yet has chosen, for those who believe in Him, to abide in them; to forever dwell with them, to set them free, and to one day bring them into eternal rest with Him. To the God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth.

No comments: