Pages

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tuesday Thrifties {things you should know about me}

A few things you should know about me.

I, more frequently than I'd care to admit, get so tickled sometimes I almost wet myself.

So tonight when a friend was telling me about the matching tennis shoes his girlfriend and he got and the matching velour suits that were bound to come at some point, you can imagine (or maybe you can't from that vague description of the convo.) I was laughing pretty hard with the imagery painted in my mind. I proudly say though, that my bladder and I held it together. Amigos!

You should also know that I ride a pendulum that swings, sometimes violently between laziness and perfection. Oddly enough I am a self labeled perfectionist that often quits at projects because of the fear of failure, therefore ruining my "perfect" image. Oh the pendulum rides I take sometimes! None the less, I feel it. I feel it swinging back up to perfection. I have all of these grand plans stirring around in my mind, all of these ideas, and dreams. All of these things I want to pursue coupled with the sobering reality of life around me right now.

I have 2 friends, my age, in the hospital right now. One fighting leukemia, the other a rare cancer. These are weighty words that came crashing down on me over the previous weekends. And I feel it. I feel myself seeing the uncontrollable circumstances they are in and so I'm grasping at straws to gain some kind of control in my own life. Jumping back into the vegetarian seat I let my legs drape out of as I enjoyed Chick-Fil-A. Nope, no more. I have to get this weight off. I have to do whatever is within my power to stave off cancer. See what I want and try to do it all. Sign me up. So what if I only get 5-6 hours of sleep. I'm going to be what they think I am; Martha Stewart. I bet Martha and MidWest Martha don't need 6 or more hours of sleep. Craft it? I will. Blog it? I will. Be the best at everything? It's a challenging job, but someone's got to do it. Right....?

Wrong. And I know that I'm wrong. So, yet again I'm trying to  find a balance instead of the violent swinging.

I took a run through the woods today and I'm thinking I love that! Nothing makes running slightly more entertaining than hurdling overgrowth, avoiding swampy waters, and keeping an eye out for the unexpected log. I'm thinking maybe I should have thought about that cross country thing years ago. I anticipate doing it again tomorrow when it's only 70 degrees. It's gonna be awesome, I can tell.

I've also decided to make Tuesdays my thrifting days, but as I walked into Goodwill I considered making a calendar of when certain thrift stores have certain sales and shopping accordingly. That's my OCD rearing it's head. I'm just going to stick with Tuesdays. Today I walked out with black khakis, black flats, and a pair of scissors. All for $10! The scissors I just actually borrowed because I needed to cut the paper off of my newly purchased tennis racket. That's right! If I'm going to be an athlete, I'll need some equipment, even if it's the cheap stuff.

I didn't want to pull up to my tennis lesson tonight with my friend with it still in the packaging. Lame. Pishaw! So I cut it off and am now scooting out the door to get some lessons.

Found any great deals at your favorite thrift store recently?
Tell me.
And while we're at it, if you're local, where do you go?
I'm always looking to expand.  

***
Here's a little project I want to try
with some thrift store
goodies.


2 comments:

Renee Badenoch said...

I buy almost all my clothes from Value Village thrift store on the corner of Natural Bridge Road and Lucas and Hunt. They are clean, friendly, and very cheap. They have tag sales every day, and 50% off sales the last Wednesday of the month. They also have a great book selection, so I always buy books for my ever-expanding school library.

I am not trying to sound like a comercial, but I seriously love this place.

Angielee said...

I know of your deep love for Value Village and I love it. You should be the commercial for them. I have visited once or twice and have been very impressed by the prices. Thanks for the input! I'm choosing to read over the Wednesday comment as Tuesdays will be my day. I will not build a calendar around thrifting! :)