Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

"Chubbs"

"Chubbs", a name I don't think I'll ever forget. I don't know this student at all but I do however spend most days in the Kirkwood School District working with special needs students. Today I had the opportunity to watch this video with some of my students and was overwhelmed with emotion.

I knew I worked in a district that was intentional about meeting the needs of all students. I was already proud to be apart of that, but to see their commitment to special needs students socialization. Well, that is huge. Having worked in the educational world and knowing kids, I know that special education kids are easy targets. Kirkwood has made it an essential part of their curriculum to teach peace and acceptance. It is evident in the students I work with and this video of David "Chubbs" Stillman. I am truely inspired and encouraged.

1 comment:

Regan said...

We had a situation similar to that at my school this year. Matt Ziesel has Downs Syndrome and plays for the football team. Through coordinating efforts, Matt was allowed to run in a touchdown at a freshmen football game last fall. It really is inspiring. Here is the touchdown video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ylwXOxKb7I ). He was also on ESPN. Here is that video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuS3_CJ8oT0 ) if you need a few more minutes of that warm fuzzy feeling. :)