Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Dopamine and my happiness

So not that I have a resolution or anything but Janurary just seems like the most reasonable time to begin new things. I mean it's the beginning of a whole new year, a whole new start. SO with that I recently read an article, "Why is it so Damn Hard to Change" about a chemical called dopamine that your body produces when things are pleasurable. The author said (which I found phenomenal) "We must have a magnificant creator to know that in order for the human race to survive we would have to have a chemical reaction triggered when we ate, so that we would eventually eat again." With that in mind she went on to say that we need to find activities that we enjoyed when we were younger because that produced this dopamine.
In thinking about that, I loved dancing when I was in high school. I was a Rythemette and practicing for hours during the summer was so much fun. I'd be down in some waiting position, sweat dripping from my head but I loved hearing the music and then beginning this choreographed movement. LOVE IT! So, I'm enrolling in a dance class. I loved volleyball. I went to a volleyball camp in hopes of trying out for the team which never happened because I had a fear of jumping on those boxes to practice spiking. I was always scared I would break my shin because I couldn't jump high enough but I digress. I loved playing on a team, serving, and hollering MINE! So I'm looking for a volleyball team to join. I also loved riding bikes. The wind blowing in my hair, the adrenaline of rushing down a steep hill, the exhaustion of making it to the top of a hill. Even pretending I was driving a car making signals to warn other "drivers" of my next move. I'm looking for a bike for when spring comes. And lastly though not physical activity I really did love playing the piano. I had one awful teacher and let that stop me. I liked that I was creating beauty. So, I'm gonna get myself a little keyboard! I found a wonderful deal on one and found my old piano books. Nothing like self teaching!
So, I'm not resolving to do things but I really want to. They are things I once really enjoyed doing and when I think of them I get happy. So dopamine here I come!

Side note: Dopamine is also the technical name for dope (the street drug) which creates that same kind of feeling of happiness. I'm not so much talking about that. I'm a natural girl! :) Have a great one!

No comments: